Saturday, October 13, 2012

The Adjourning Stage of the Five Stages of Team Development


The adjourning phase of the five stages of team development is the end stage. This signifies that group members are moving on to separate places in their lives (Abudi, 2010). This is a time when group members should think about what all they have accomplished, didn’t accomplish, and what could have been done differently.

 In my experience in this stage, the hardest part was saying goodbye after working in a group for a long time. I taught at a school district for 3 years and it was hard to say goodbye to the people I worked so closely with. I don’t feel like the most effective groups were the hardest to leave. I remember a group I was put into in college, the work we did was great but our group members didn’t particularly get along because we all operated of different time schedules. Everyone was assigned parts and we put our presentation together once everyone was finished. Our grades couldn’t have been better, but I had not problem leaving that group. I believe that the adjourning phase from the group of colleagues I have formed throughout my master’s program will be somewhat easy. Throughout every course I meet new people and reconnect with others that I have shared a past course with.

I think that the adjourning stage is essential for teamwork because it brings our work and goals to a close. Once one goal is met, another one can be created in life.

References

Abudi, G. (2010). The five stages of team development: A case study. Retrieved from http://www.projectsmart.co.uk/the-five-stages-of-team-development-a-case-study.html

6 comments:

  1. Hi Arica I can agree with you, the hardest part, is saying goodbye after working in a group for a long time. As we continue through the Master’s process, there will come a time where a lot of colleagues we have had contact with will have to same goodbye. As professionals, it is important to stay connected because there could be a time where we may need each other expertise.

    Thanks,
    Andrea C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arica,
    I love what your wrote, especially when you said, "once one goal is met, another one can be created in life." I agree that remaining connected is an important aspect of saying goodbye. Knowing that you will keep in touch makes it less painful to say goodbye, especially if you have gotten attached to a certain group. I will miss the peers in this class for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your honest assessment of a situation in which an effective team did not evoke a sense of loss upon adjournment. It is a reality that every situation and every setting has very different meaning to everyone. Who knows, perhaps others from that group shared your feelings while some felt a very different emotion.
    Finding a team that fits our values, work ethic, communication style and culture seems to be very important and deserves more thought by all of us as we grow and exercise our leadership skills.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Arica:

    I appreciate your perspective. I see what you are saying; you built relationships with these people through the trials you all experienced together. I can see how that was hard to depart from as well. It is usually like that in relationships. We spend so much time trying to "make things right". Then once we get to that point, it comes to an end. But thankfully in this case, it was a good end. :-) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I should say, it is like that in SOME relationships. Not all of them end once they reach a good point. Some usually continue. I do not want to sound bitter lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Arica!

    I enjoyed reading your blog posts during this course. Your posts represent your quality experience within the Early Childhood Field as well as your experience with communication and collaboration with children, families, and colleagues. You provided detailed descriptions of your personal experiences with communication and collaboration as an early childhood teacher. Your experiences increased my knowledge of the Early Childhood Field while providing me new insight into effective communication and collaboration skills. Wishing Best of Luck to you in your future course!!!

    ReplyDelete