Saturday, June 1, 2013

Jobs/Roles in the ECE Community: National/Federal Level


Three national/federal organizations that I currently have in my community of practice that appealed to me are the Children’s Defense Fund, the United States Department of Education, and the American Psychological Association. I chose these three national organizations because they have much information on poverty and topics related to poverty. They give current statistics and populations all over the United States along with resources to assist parents, teachers, and children.

There were a few job opportunities listed within these organizations. For the Children’s Defense Fund, I would enjoy being the Director of Youth Leadership Development. For this position, I’d have to work well with children, know how to teach them in areas that need growth, be a leader, and sociable. For the United States Department of Education job openings, I believe I’d like to do work in the Equal Employment Opportunity area. Do obtain this job, I’d have to be unbiased, fair, and caring for the needs of others. The American Psychological Association has positions for completing studies within classrooms that I feel I would be interested in.

References

Children’s Defense Fund. (2012). Retrieved from http://www.childrensdefense.org/

U.S. Department of Education. (n.d.) Retrieved from http://www.ed.gov/

American Psychological Assoication, (2013). Retrieved from http://www.apa.org/

8 comments:

  1. Hi Arica, the American Psychological Association is a wonderful organization to add to your COP. The APA has plenty of research data to support early childhood field. For instance, information on classroom behavior, and diversity issues. APA is a creditable source to find use in research.

    Thanks for Sharing!
    Andrea


    American Psychological Assoication, (2013). Retrieved from http://www.apa.org/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize that APA had so much information and resources on their cite. Everytime I thought of APA before this course, I always thought of it as a place to visit when figuring out how to cite sources in the correct format!

      Delete
  2. Hi Arica,
    You selected some well-known organizations that address poverty for young children and adults. The job for the United States Department of Education sounds very interesting. I think I will visit the site. Where there any educational requirements? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula,
      There were a few requirements for different positions, such as a master's in that specific area. I can't remember which area it was though. I do have some well-known organizations but as I do more and more research, I'm discovering other organizations that aren't as popular.
      Arica

      Delete
  3. Hi Arica,
    Thank you for the informative information. I was especially interested in the Children's Defense Fund, Director of Youth Leadership Development. Thanks for sharing I love the blue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your use of the Ohio Department of Education seems like a useful and supportive resource for many different areas of early childhood education as they oversee quality standards, program funding, professional development and qualifications, and school/family services among many other things. I also listed the PA Department of Education as a state/national/federal organization working toward ensuring and improving the quality of educational programs in Pennsylvania. I'm not sure what you're challenge topic is targeting, but I do feel as if an organization focused on family services and bettering the resources that families have access to provides someone researching in the field with a perspective of information that shows the effects of educational decisions on the family life. After reading through your blog posting this week I would like to take time to see if our state has any other organizations that focus on family support.
    Thanks for sharing - Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Arica,
    I really enjoyed reading your discussion posts and I feel that the jobs you chose look very interesting. I knew someone who worked for the Children's Defense Fund, he was a child rights attorney. People working for the Children's Defense Fund can make a huge impact, it really is amazing. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shira,
      I feel that working for organizations, such as Children's Defense Fund, are the "big time" jobs. I know working as an educator there are many responsibilities, but working for huge organizations like this seems even more demanding. Some of the salaries that employees receive from these popular organizations are up in the $100,000 range! Wowza!
      Arica

      Delete